This booklet presents a accomplished account of the pathogenesis, scientific gains, and administration of ocular vascular occlusive problems, with the point of interest a great deal at the clinical facts. this gives a legitimate foundation for addressing the numerous controversies that encompass those problems, which jointly represent the most typical reason behind visible impairment or blindness. The publication is split into sections, the 1st of which addresses the elemental technological know-how and encompasses vascular anatomy, blood provide and movement, and retinal tolerance time to acute ischemia. the second one, scientific, part covers the presentation, medical positive aspects, prognosis, and therapy of the whole variety of vascular occlusive problems of the retina, the choroid, the anterior section of the attention, ophthalmic manifestations of carotid artery disorder and the optic nerve. Ocular Vascular Occlusive problems, written through a exceptional global chief within the box, may be useful for normal ophthalmologists, and especially for retina experts, neuro-ophthalmologists, and researchers.
By Jane Olver, Lorraine Cassidy, Gurjeet Jutley, Laura Crawley
Ophthalmology at a Glance offers a concise review of the area of expertise, with transparent and straightforward diagrams illustrating the basic info required for college students, trainee optometrists, opticians and forte nurses.
It contains info on background and exam, ahead of relocating via particular stipulations and their remedy. heavily monitoring the undergraduate ophthalmology curriculum, this re-creation is totally up to date to mirror new advancements within the field.
Ophthalmology at a Glance:
• good points tip packing containers to provide extra perception into issues, caution packing containers to point cautionary suggestion, support with examination method, extra examining, and key element packing containers which summarize each one chapter
• contains new chapters on tropical ophthalmology, ocular oncology and gigantic telephone arteritis
• beneficial properties multiplied fabric on pink eye and painful lack of imaginative and prescient, and dialogue of recent medical proof for the lifestyles of a 6th layer of the cornea (Dua’s layer)
• incorporates a spouse web site at www.ataglanceseries.com/ophthal that includes medical case reviews, the entire medical pictures from the e-book as PowerPoint slides, and interactive flashcards for self-test
By Peter Macinnis
“Uses historical past, technology, and enjoyable poison proof to make vigorous analyzing of all issues lethal.”—The Boston Globe
Poisons permeate our international. they're within the surroundings, the place of work, the house. they're in nutrition, our favourite whiskey, drugs, and good water. they've been used to medication ailments in addition to incapacitate and kill. They soft wrinkles, block ache, stimulate and increase athletic skill. during this wonderful and fact-filled ebook, technological know-how author Peter Macinnis considers poisons in all their elements. He recounts tales of the prestigious poisoners in background and literature, from Nero to Thomas Wainewright, and from the loss of life of Socrates to Hamlet and Peter Pan.
From cyanide to strychnine, from Botox to ricin and Sarin gas—have you ever puzzled approximately their assets? the place do they arrive from? How do you become aware of whatever which could kill you in an issue of seconds? Macinnis methodically analyzes the technology of those killing brokers and their makes use of in drugs, cosmetics, conflict, and terrorism. With wit and precision, he weighs those questions and many extra: was once Lincoln’s volatility brought on by mercury poisoning? was once Jack the Ripper an arsenic eater? Can wallpaper kill? For someone who has ever puzzled and been afraid to invite, here's a wealthy miscellany in your mystery questions on pollutants. 14 black-and-white pictures
By Michael Y. Henein
Heart Failure in scientific Practice provides a toolkit for clinicians to lead them within the analysis and remedy of sufferers with suspected center failure. Algorithms and movement diagrams are incorporated to provide the reader an illustrated photograph of the selections fascinated about the administration of those patients.
The so much CONCISE, whole, updated, and simple evaluation to be had
* most often up-to-date microbiology evaluate
* High-yield evaluation for classes, assessments, and the USMLE
* six hundred+ USMLE-format pattern questions
* whole USMLE-type examination with all questions in case-based structure
* scientific functions emphasised
* Summaries of vital microorganisms for swift assessment
* Revised and accelerated insurance of HIV, hepatitis viruses, and immunology
* Informative tables and figures
Endocrinology – with all of the authority of Harrison’s
Featuring a great compilation of chapters relating to endocrinology derived from Harrison’s rules of inner drugs, 19th Edition (including content material from the acclaimed Harrison’s DVD, now on hand right here in print), this concise, full-color scientific better half provides the most recent wisdom within the box sponsored through the clinical rigor and authority that experience outlined Harrison’s. you can find 36 chapters from 50 popular editors and members in a carry-anywhere presentation that's excellent for the school room, health facility, ward, or exam/certification preparation.
• Divided into six sections that mirror the physiologic roots of endocrinology: creation to Endocrinology; Pituitary, Thyroid, and Adrenal issues; Reproductive Endocrinology; Diabetes Mellitus, weight problems, Lipoprotein Metabolism; issues Affecting a number of Endocrine structures; and issues of Bone and Calcium Metabolism
• Coverage of discoveries emanating from genetics and molecular biology, in addition to the newest medicines which are reworking the field
• Integration of pathophysiology with scientific management
• High-yield board evaluate questions make this article perfect for maintaining present or getting ready for the boards
• Valuable appendix of laboratory values of scientific importance
First released over forty years in the past, this is often one of many best-established introductory texts for college students of dentistry and oral and maxillofacial surgical procedure. It covers all of the uncomplicated tenets of the area of expertise, from sufferer administration to nervousness and soreness regulate, to implant dentistry and maxillofacial trauma. The 6th version has been completely revised to mirror the most recent advancements within the box, and every bankruptcy has been thoroughly up to date and restructured. New chapters particularly on implant dentistry were incorporated. This most modern variation additionally positive factors for the 1st time color photos of medical techniques, transparent color diagrams and e-learning references.
This booklet is of undoubted price for college kids and lately certified practitioners of dentistry, for whom it acts as a whole and prepared reference during which to realize an organization foothold in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
• Covers every one simple guideline of oral and maxillofacial surgery
• provides info in a transparent and student-friendly style
• displays newest advancements within the box with updates throughout
• presents new chapters particularly on implant dentistry
• contains color medical pictures and diagrams
By Diana G. Gallagher, Demaree Inglese
At the evening of August 27, 2005, Dr. Demaree Inglese used to be one of the New Orleans citizens confident that forthcoming storm Katrina may go with reduced impact. the following couple of days' occasions may turn out how wrong all of them have been, and Dr. Inglese, scientific director of the recent Orleans urban detention center, must lead his employees via a difficulty of lethal proportions.
With compelling, surprising aspect, No traditional Heroes recounts the drama that opened up on the penal complex among August 26 and September 2, 2005. confronted with a jail compound that directors had refused to evacuate, Dr. Inglese and his colleagues--deputies, nurses, and doctors--had a enormous catastrophe on their palms. sizeable flooding reworked the sprawling penal complex advanced into an island within the crippled urban. with out strength or operating water, and with meals shops dwindling, stipulations on the penal complex deteriorated quickly as temperatures within soared within the blistering summer time warmth. lower off from aid, the clinical employees struggled to take care of hundreds of thousands of inmates, employees, and local citizens whereas deputies struggled to preserve order. via all of it loomed the consistent risk of the criminal inmates, a lot of them desirous to continue to exist or very likely get away. Rioting prisoners, burning constructions, SWAT crew rescues, and scientific emergencies all conspired to create a hurricane inside a typhoon: an ordeal weathered via the braveness and perseverance of a committed few who labored to the breaking aspect and past.
Written with the taut suspense of a gripping mystery, No usual Heroes vividly re-creates seven days that felt like an eternity to a handful of deserted heroes--and is a stark, revealing testomony to the facility of humanitarian dedication within the such a lot dire conditions.
This precise clinical ebook is intended to permit the common individual to deal with accidents and ailment in events within which glossy scientific amenities and execs aren’t to be had as a result of a disaster.
This booklet is written by way of America’s best clinical preparedness specialists: Joe Alton, MD, and Amy Alton, ARNP. Their project: to place a medically ready individual in each relations for while clinical assistance is no longer at the means. utilizing a long time of scientific adventure, they tackle, in undeniable language, dozens of clinical matters linked to surviving failures and epidemics. The Altons additionally speak about the clinical provides had to turn into a clinical asset in your kinfolk and neighborhood in addition to substitute and average innovations for whilst prescription drugs aren’t available.
Most scientific books will ship you to the physician or sanatorium while an emergency occurs. The final Survival medication Guide assumes what may really happen—that the typical individual may be left with no clinical assist in a catastrophe. With this distinctive e-book, you’ll have a head commence on retaining your loved ones fit in occasions of trouble.